What We Believe
We believe that God is love. Our faith is lived out in the missions and ministries of Michelson Memorial Church.
We are a mission based and community focused.
We believe in the orthodox beliefs of all Christians, but this is just our start.
We believe in reaching out tot the community and offering hope, grace, peace, food, and Baby clothes.
All are welcome here, and by all we mean ALL.
Church Staff and Leadership
Pastor - Rev. Rich Burstall
Music Director - Jill Scarzo
Custodian - Linda Harrison
Leadership - Jerry Gosnell
Board of Trustees - Jeff Pendergraff
Staff-Parish Relations - Linda Harrison
Finance & Stewardship - Joe Wakeley
Endowment & Memorials - Jerry Gosnell
Worship - Marianne Gosnell
Christian Education - Nancy Goodyear & Mary Herman
Membership Care - Lorna Morse & Carol Schultz
Lay Leader - Nancy Goodyear
Lay Representative - Donna Hubbard
Church Treasurer - Jerry Gosnell
Financial Secretary - Jerry Gosnell
Membership Secretary - Julia Hulka
Church Librarian - Janet Gooch
Newsletter - Elizabeth Nelson
UMW - Carole Campbell
Bell Choir - Janet Gaffke
Altar Guild/Communion - Marianne Gosnell
Usher Coordinators - Jerry Larson & Don Gooch
Acolyte Coordinator - Lori Patterson
History of Michelson
Michelson Memorial United Methodist Church is the oldest congregation in Crawford County and traces its roots back to 1878 when the congregation formed, met in tents and later in the local schoolhouse or Opera House.
The Methodist Episcopal Church was the 1st Methodist church in Grayling and the wood building was built during the winter/spring of 1882 and was dedicated in the spring of 1883. The Parsonage was built next door in 1889.
The Methodist Congregation merged with the Presbyterian Congregation in 1914 in a symbolic walk by the Presbyterians to the Methodist Church located in the next block.
Erection of a new brick church building was begun in September 1917 with a gift of $25,000 by lumber baron, Nels Michelson as a memorial to his wife, Margarethe. The building was built on the same site with the old building being moved to the back and used as Sunday School rooms. The new building was the 1st brick building in Grayling; and was dedicated on December 8, 1918.
The church suffered a fire on November 24, 1923, that completely destroyed the building and parsonage next door. The ladies were in the kitchen when the fire started, so of course, they were teased that they were the cause of the fire!! Nels Michelson provided the money to rebuild in 1924 and it was hailed as one of the best church structures north of Bay City. Best of all…they had no debt…thanks to the generosity of Mr. Michelson. Another house at 604 Michigan was acquired for the Parsonage and was in use until the current Parsonage was built in the 1960’s.
In May of 1977, another fire struck and damaged the sanctuary and bell tower…this time the ladies were not in the kitchen…this renovation was rededicated October 16, 1977, only 5 months after the fire, but the bell tower had to be lowered due to structural damage.
In 1995 the Michelson congregation took a huge leap of faith and Michelson became “alive in ‘95” as we prepared for the financial campaign to launch an $870,000 project to upgrade the facility.
The Narthax was added, the kitchen was completely remodeled, an elevator installed and the entire facility rewired and remodeled to make it safe and hopefully no more fires would occur. The dedication took place on May 14, 1998.
The Michelson congregation cares about the people of the community and is responsible for the establishment of the local Help Center to help with food assistance for families in need. They are the sponsors of the Baby to Toddler Closet that provides free access to clothing & care needs for babies and toddlers for families in need of assistance. They are also responsible for creating the Monday Night Free Community Dinner program and have served over 17,000 free meals to the community.
Michelson Church “Cares” and has always been the “Community” church and opens their doors to one and all.